SELVEDGE & BOLTS X ALICE & CO PATTERNS: SPRING COAT-ALONG Sun 4th April - Sun 25th April
Regular price £120.00
Making a coat is one of the most satisfying sewing projects - and not as difficult as you might think! In this special collaboration with Dibs from Selvedge & Bolts we will hold your hand through the process of making a couture Spring/Summer coat, with a selection of sumptuous designer deadstock fabrics to choose from.
ABOUT THE COAT
The design of the coat for this course is a semi-fitted trench-style with options to customize galore! For the class we will provide you with the core pattern for the body and sleeves, with a choice of design details which you will learn to draft yourself including: the collar, cuffs, optional storm-flap, pockets, facings and lining. We will also discuss and demonstrate a range of making up and finishing techniques, appropriate for your individual fabric.
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
The class will take place over 4 sessions - detailed below. In the first session you will pick your fabric, the second session will be drafting your design, the third session is all about fit, and the fourth and final session will be an opportunity to show off your finished garment!
1. (Sunday 4th April, 10.30am-12.30pm) FABRIC SHOPPING SESSION: Choose your material from an exclusive range of ex-designer fabrics (Marni, Versace, Montcler etc) from the wonderful world of Selvedge & Bolts. There's a great variety of plains and prints, from geometric to floral to funky, in cottons, denims and raincoat fabrics. The shopping will take place as a virtual 'open day' - we will be Zoom-ing in directly to Dibs' studio where she'll be able to show you all the fabrics in detail, and Alice will be on hand to advise on style and design. These fabrics have been reserved specifically for this class and are only available in limited quantities so you will get first pick! The fabric will be sent to you after the session, ready for making up by week 3 of the course.
2. (Sunday 11th April, 10.30am-2pm) DESIGN + DRAFTING SESSION: Taking the core coat pattern, Alice will take you through step-by-step how to draft all the details to customise the design and finishings to your liking, and to suit your fabric. Invaluable information you will be able to use again and again. The small group size will mean you will also learn from everyone else's designs and questions.
3. (Sunday 18th April, 10.30am - 12pm) FITTING SESSION: In this class we will try on our coats and Alice will be advising on how to make any adjustments for a fabulous fit. Again the small group size will maximise your learning. Up to you whether you decide to make a toile or jump straight in with your fashion fabric!
4. (Sunday 25th April, 6-7pm) SOCIAL SESSION: Time to show off your coat! We'll meet for a Zoom cocktail to twirl in our coats and to ask any final questions.
All classes will take place as a video meeting via Zoom so you can interact and ask questions along the way. The classes will be recorded so you can go over them in your own time between the sessions, we strongly encourage that you are available to attend every session to get the most out of the course!
SIZE RANGE: The core coat pattern is available in sizes UK 6-22
CLASS SIZE: max 15 people
COST: £120 + fabric. *please note that you will need to buy your fabric separately from Dibs, during the fabric shopping session on 4th April. Fabric will cost between £12-£20/metre and you will need approx 3m.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
To make up the coat:
- FABRIC - approx 3m - we will guide you through exactly what you will need during the fabric shopping session with Dibs. Fabric will cost from £12-£20/metre.
- Interfacing - 1.5m - medium weight
- Buttons/fastening of your choice
For the drafting sessions:
- Some large pieces of paper – pattern cutting paper if you have it but otherwise newspaper or a roll of brown paper.
- A tape measure (we draft in metric, so if you’re more used to inches, a dual tape-measure will be handy - or we can help you to convert along the way)
- Sticky tape
- Paper scissors
- Pattern master/French curve if you have one
*Please note that you will need to be subscribed up to our newsletter in order to receive emails from us (there is a checkbox at checkout when you sign up for the class)*
How to download your Alice & Co Pattern
Alice & Co patterns are provided in three different page formats and are designed to be printed in colour.
Once you have purchased your pattern you will be given a download link. This will also be emailed to you so don't worry if you don't want to download it straight away!
The download will consist of a zip file containing 4 separate PDF files:
1x Pattern Instructions
3x Patterns in A0, A4 and US Letter sizes
*Please make sure you read the following instructions carefully before printing!*
For A4/US Letter: it is vital to make sure your pattern prints at full scale or the sizing will not be correct. Your print settings should be set to 'full scale', '100%', 'actual size' or equivalent according to your printer software.
There are two test squares on the first page of every pattern: a 5cm and a 2" square.
Print only this page first and check your square measures up, before printing the rest of the pattern.
For A0 copy shop: follow the instructions given by your chosen copy shop. Services are also available online - we recommend Patternsy - who print on lightweight tissue paper with very speedy delivery to anywhere in the world! Once you have purchased your pattern from us, simply click on the link above to go to their website and follow the steps to upload your pattern.
Comment télécharger votre patron Alice & Co Pattern
Les patrons d'Alice & Co patterns sont fournis dans trois formats de page différents et sont conçus pour être imprimés en couleur.
Une fois que vous aurez acheté votre patron, vous obtiendrez un lien de téléchargement. Celui-ci vous sera également envoyé par e-mail, donc ne vous inquiétez pas si vous ne souhaitez pas le télécharger immédiatement !
Le téléchargement consistera en un fichier zip contenant 4 fichiers PDF distincts :
1x Instructions pour le patron
3x Patrons dans les formats A0, A4 et US Letter
*Lisez attentivement les instructions qui suivent avant d’imprimer votre patron !*
POUR LES FORMATS A4 / US LETTER : il est indispensable d’imprimer votre patron à 100%, sinon la taille ne sera pas correcte. Vos paramètres d'impression doivent être "pleine échelle" "100%", "taille réelle" ou un paramètre équivalent selon votre logiciel d'impression.
Il y a deux carrés de test sur la première page de chaque patron : un carré de 5 cm et un carré de 2 pouces. N'imprimez d'abord que cette page et vérifiez que votre carré est bien à la bonne taille, avant d'imprimer le reste du patron.
POUR LE FORMAT A0 : suivez les instructions données par votre imprimeur. Des services sont également disponibles en ligne.